“How to use the tools of deep relaxation, Behavioral Medicine, mindfulness, and guided imagery in your practice”
In this course, you will be introduced to the theory and practice of Mind-Body Medicine. You will see how Type 2 Stress is a factor in most of the illnesses and dysfunctions we see at the physical, mental, emotional, and behavioral levels – and learn to experience and teach the basic skills of mindfulness, deep relaxation, guided imagery. At the theoretical level you will learn the neuroscience of the mind-body approach, and the use of metaphor and mental image rehearsal to activate neuroplasticity and catalyze healing.
- Understand the concepts of Mind-Body Medicine, mindfulness, and deep relaxation, and why the mind of extreme importance in all therapeutic work?
- Develop an operational definition of stress and how changing thoughts, beliefs, mental images, and expectations modifies and manages stress.
- Learn the role of deeply relaxed states and clinical procedures (meditation, prayer, hypnosis, etc.) for combating stress related illness and achieving peak levels of personal performance.
- Review the current research demonstrating the value and effectiveness of mind-body interventions and understand Kahneman’s System 1 and System 2 thinking and how to make use of them in supporting healing response.
- Develop tools for creating a healing relationship. A central factor in healing is the relationship perceived by the patient/client.
- Experience deep relaxation and mind-body effects so as to better communicate them to patients/clients.
- Understanding the role of the umwelt and denial in retarding healing and performance, and how to transcend these and catalyze the healing process.
- Learn mind-body techniques for relieving anxiety, anger, accumulated stress, and illnesses based on muscle tension (headache, asthma, hypertension).
- Acquire interactive tools for creating imagery of a positive future as a template for change.